Saturday 1 February 2014

Creative Experiment #2

I know it is now february but I am just sharing the last fruits of January's challenges.

For CE#2 we were to try a technique that was new to us. For christmas I had received a woodburning tool (thanks Dad) and it the rest, as they say, is history.

Using some 50mm (2x2ish) blocks I had left over from a past project I warmed up the tool and started playing with the different ends to see what kinds of marks they made. Using these blocks with acrylics I made sure to burn reasonably deep. Here are blocks before, during and after burning.



And then of course they had to be tested to see how they worked. I found that applying the acrylic paint with a cosmetic sponge the most effective and I was able to get some lovely crisp prints from my blocks. I would advise printing with a 2mm foam sheet (or similar) under the paper as it give some push back into the details which the table did not.



All in all a very sucessful experiment. Just one more to type up (mail art) which will come tomorrow.

Total burns during experiment, just the one. All pictures taken with my new DSLR and closeups with a 10X macro filter which worked out very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment